|Jewish History In Adams County, Illinois
Contributed by Adams County ILGenWeb
|Print | Save | Discuss (0) | E-Mail | Report|
Temple B'nai Sholom
Jewish History In Adams County, Illinois
The first organization among the Jewish community of Quincy was effected in December 1856, twenty-three members constituting it. B'nai Avraham meetings were held for a time on Hampshire Street between Fifth and Sixth, and in 1866 a frame synagogue was built on Sixth Street between Vermont and Broadway.
B'nai Sholom was organized in October 1864 with about twenty-one members, among whom were Isaac Lesem, Maukerine Jackson, Moses Jacobs, Wolf Joseph, Moses Kingsbacker, S. Kingsbacker and M. Berger. In July 1872 the two Jewish societies united under the name B'nai Sholom.
Under the leadership of Rabbi Rauh, services were held in various locations for the next few years. In July of 1869 the cornerstone of a new synagogue was laid. The Temple at 427 North 9th was dedicated in September 1870. The new Temple was Moorish in style, built of brick and stone, 40 feet by 70 feet and 84 feet in height.
Early leaders included Rabbi M. Fluegel, Rabbi Isaac Moses, Rabbi V. Caro, Rabbi Elias Eppstein serving from 1890 to 1906, Rabbi Stultz 1906 to 1908, Rabbi Louis Kuppin 1908 to 1914, Rabbi J. H. Halprin beginning his leadership in 1915.
Early Presidents of the Temple were Wolf Joseph 1900 to 1908, M. Kingsbaker 1908 to 1911, B. G. Vasen 1913 to 1916 and G. M. Jackson beginning in 1916.
Information here has been extracted from QUINCY AND ADAMS COUNTY HISTORY AND REPRESENTATIVE MEN, Volume 1, by David Wilcox. Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1919. p. 555.