|St. Mary's Church, Quincy
Contributed by Adams County ILGenWeb
|Print | Save | Discuss (0) | E-Mail | Report|
St. Mary's Church, now Blessed Sacrament, is located at 1119 South 7th Street in Quincy, Illinois. This church was founded in 1867. The first Mass was celebrated in the still unfinished church December 18, 1867. A school was built in 1868 and a steeple was in place by 1878. A rectory was built in 1884. Fire destroyed the church February 2, 1891. Construction on a new structure began almost immediately. The new church was completed in 1892. The magnificent grotto (shown below) is a special feature on the church property.
Special thanks to Tom Liesen for sharing these rare photos of St. Mary's Church.