Early Settlers of Kinderhook
Data, images, etc., found on the PikeCoILGenWeb.org website is for the use of individual researchers only. It is NOT for other groups to copy and place on their website.
|Early Settlers of Kinderhook
Contributed by edmad709008
|Print | Save | Discuss (0) | E-Mail | Report|
||September 24 1936|
EARLY SETTLERS OF KINDERHOOK
Alexander Anderson, born in Pennsylvania, son of Edward Anderson, who came here in 1845. Engaged in business, at first with Frank Estergreen, and later by himself. In 1847, he married Alice Hull, daughter of James Hull. They were the parents of nine children.
Clement V. Aylesworth, born in New York in 1848. Came to Kinderhook when five years of age. Married Sarah Dutton, January 26, 1871. Engaged in butchering and confectionery business, conducting a very enterprising business. Has two children, Elbert and Myrtie.
A.S. Churchill came here in 1833 when 19 years of age, from Batavia, New York, covering the entire distance in a one-horse buggy in one month and fifteen days. In 1835, he married Mary Hunn and had seven children, one of whom, Hiram S was a very influential man in the town. When he arrived here
he had only $250, but soon accumulated lots of land, getting his first farm by trading a cloth coat for the claim on the land.
Samuel Colgrove, born in New York in 1822. Came here in 1870. Engaged in sawing and rayting lumber for a few years and later in farming. Served in the army of the Potomac, became disabled in the second battle of Bull Run. Married Mary Marbatt and had seven children, one of whom George, now lives
J.C. Colvin, born in Connecticut in 1823, a son of Timothy Colvin. Settled here in 1854. Married Ann Andrews. Parents of five children. After farming for nine years he followed merchandising, trading and milling. Two children, Flora and Joseph A, now live in Kinderhook.
John Cook, born in North Carolina in 1800. Married Martha Kennedy in 1828. Came to this township in 1830 where he lived continuously. They had four children.
Frank Estergreen, born in Sweden in 1844. When twenty years of age he came to America, working in Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Missouri, before coming to Kinderhook, where he worked as Journeyman for three years, then in business for himself. Married in 1874 to Amanda McPherson. Had
two children, Joseph and Nellie. Was one of the leading merchants for a long time.
Samuel B Gaines, born in New York in 1821. Married Margaret Twaddle in 1844 and came here in 1847. The next year Mrs. Gaines died. In 1849 he married Mary Fitzpatrick. They had ten children. Mr. Gaines engaged in the clock business for three years and then followed farming and merchandising.
Owned a stock of drygoods and etc., worth $6,000 as well as 500 acres of valuable land.
Charles B. Gose, born here in 1837, and always resided here. In 1863 married Cynthia Jones. Their children are Ernest and Charles J. Owned quite a bit of land and in store business. Served as assessor for several terms.
David D. Hull, merchant, born in Barry, 1844, a son of Tate Hull. Was in the Civil War, engaging in battles at Vicksburg, Champion Hills, Raymond Fort Spanish, Mobile and others. His two brothers, Thomas and Albert also served in the war. In 1865, Mr. Hull married Sara Scott and had six children.
Was quite successful as a merchant.
James T. Murray, an attorney, was born here in 1839. Lived here until 1862. Followed milling two years in Minnesota, then mercantile business in Quincy, then took up the study of law. Began to practice law in La Grange, Missouri. Then returned to Kinderhook, where he served as an attorney. Married Belle Sisler and had two children.
J. A. Walch, born in Ohio in 1846. Came to Kinderhook in 1863. Married Charlotte Hull and had four children. Was very active in all kinds of threshing, corn shelling, and wood saw work, owning several outfits himself.
Barney Hinds, born in Ohio in 1824. Reared on a farm and educated in common school. Came here in 1843. Married Elizabeth Lomax in 1849. Had three children, James, John, and Henry. Henry still living in Kinderhook
Mifflin Liggett, born 1845 in this county. Engaged in farming until 1864 when he learned the blacksmith trade, which he followed in Kinderhook. In 1866, married Ellen Beard. George D. was the only child. Mr. Liggett was very active in the I. O. O. F. lodge.
Wm. J. Talbert, born in Virginia in 1818. Came to American Bottom on Kaskaskia River in 1829, living within one mile of Gov Bond. He lived in Atlas, New Canton, and Barry, where he died in 1865. Being a pioneer, he underwent the usual privations of early times; received his education in an old log school house with slab benches, the window extending the entire length of the building, being simply the absence of a log; the fire place occupied nearly the entire end of the room; the back logs were drawn in by a horse, there being a door on each side of the room near the fireplace; the floor was of mother earth. In 1844 he married Elizabeth Hull and had nine children. He was the second tanner in Pike county. Was also Jailer at Atlas and witnessed the whipping of a hog thief by Sheriff Seeley.
Ninian Bell was born north of Barry, February 27, 1833. His father was one of the early settlers in Pike County and one of the first storekeepers in Barry. His whole life was spent in the vicinity of Barry and Kinderhook, except for a short time spent in Texas. His wife, affectionately and widely known as Aunt Ann was born February 18, 1838, and they married February 28, 1853. To them two children were born, Mrs. Mary Gudgel and Daniel M. Bell, "Uncle Ning" and "Aunt Ann" as they were familiarly called, lived near Seehorn on the Wheelock place for several years, but later came to Kinderhook to be near their son in their declining years. Mr. Bell died October 7, 1915. Mrs. Bell survived him several years and died at the home of her son, D. M. Bell. They were devout Methodists and whenever possible were found in their place of worship.
Timothy Gard, son of John and Angelilah Gard, was born about a mile and a half north of Kinderhook, Feb. 10, 1834. His father died when he could hardly remember, and his mother when he was but 13 years of age. He was left upon the world to make his own living at an early age. He lived for three years with "Uncle Jackie Cook" who lived just on the west side of the village. After he was 15 years old he began to work and earn money for himself and he later bought a farm, which is now owned by Mrs. Reinhardt. He received his education in a log schoolhouse that stood on a lot just north of the residence of the late Dr. Penick and near the home of Hardy Bell. Mr. Gard was married to Sarah Sherve, Dec. 19, 1854. To them three children were born. Mrs. Mary Wilson was the only one who lived to womanhood. Mrs. Gard died Feb. 20, 1903. After this "Uncle Tim ", as he was called by every one, made his home with his daughter and granddaughter, Mrs. H. T. Jones in the Blair Hotel in Barry. Mr. Gard filled the office of assessor three times, and that of Collector three times. He was also Treasurer of the Cincinnati School, District No. 1. He was a member of the Presidential Voter's Club in 1856. He cast his first vote for President Buchanan.
Chas. S. Hull was the son of Thomas Hull, one of the pioneers of this township. He was born January 26, 1843, and was raised on a farm and educated in the public school. On June 4, 1868, he married Louisa, daughter of Nathan H. Davis of Griggsville. Mr. Hull was a farmer and stock raiser. He resided on the old homestead until his death, which occurred January 11, 1879. He was a zealous Methodist. Mr. And Mrs. Hull had two children-Alice, who is now the wife of Clinton Bennington. The Hull farm was one of the first farms settled and improved in this township. Mr. and Mrs. Bennington now reside on this farm.
George C. Lock was born in Richfield Township on January 26, 1849. He was the son of Pemberton and Jane Lock who were early settlers in Adams County. On March 26, 1876, he was united in marriage to Ellen Toner, Daughter of William and Mary Toner of Kinderhook. To this union were born two daughters, one dying in infancy. Maud, who became the wife of Roy Likes. Mr. Lock was prominent in temperance work and was always foremost in the progress of educational advantages. He taught in the Kinderhook Schools 16 years and those who had the privilege of attending school under him had a wonderful opportunity. He also taught in Hull, New Canton, Rockport, and Plainville-making a total of 35 years of teaching. He was the first one in the state of Illinois to be granted a teachers pension. He was a man of sterling qualities, an advocate of everything for uplifting and betterment the community in which he lived. He was fatally injured when he was sixty-seven years of age. He went in front of a car and started the engine. The car, being on a grade, began to move forward, dragging him beneath the wheels, which passed over his body, inflicting fatal injuries.
William Wilson was born in Frederick County, Md., January 19, 1813. In 1860 he came to Pike County and located on Section 33 in Kinderhook Township and engaged in farming. In 1870 he opened an undertaking establishment in Kinderhook and operated this for many years. He married Margaret Colgan in Indiana, May 31, 1838. Eight children were born to them---Elizabeth, who became the wife of R. M. Murray, Thomas, who was killed in the Civil War; James who died in infancy; Catherine, who became the wife of Isaac Woverton, Mary E. and William (twins) who died at the age of two years; and George and John. Mr. and Mrs. Wilson have been dead many years.
William G. Toner was born in Jefferson County, Missouri, on Sept. 14, 1817. Mr. Toner or Uncle Billy, as he was called by nearly all, passed his early days in Missouri, and shared the hard lot of many pioneer children. Leaving his home at the age of 7, he stopped at any and every place where he could obtain food and shelter. When he was 16 years old he began to learn the hatter's trade in St. Louis, Mo., but the evil influences surrounding him were more than he could tolerate, so he gave it up. He made his way to Pike Co. in 1840 and on Sept 14, 1844 was married to Mrs. Mary Gose Long. To this union were born four children-Joseph C., Louisa J., and Elizabeth J., who resides in Barry. The latter is the widow of
George Liggett. After his marriage, Mr. Toner settled on the farm, west of Kinderhook that is now owned by Roy Likes. By active labor and frugality, Mr. Toner had one of the best farms in the county. He built substantial buildings and had the place well stocked. He was a man of earnest religious views and one of the most diligent and faithful members of the Methodist Church.
Smith Hull was born in Virginia in 1817. His father, James Hull, was born in New York about the year 1784. He immigrated to Virginia at an early date, then came to Illinois in 1829. He died in 1859. Elizabeth Hull, mother of Smith Hull was born in Pennsylvania in 1786. Her maiden name was Kinder. Her parents also moved to Virginia and was here she was married to James. She came to this state with her husband. She died in 1864. In 1829, Smith Hull, with his parents settled in Barry Township on Section 19. He was married to Elizabeth McAten in 1840. She was born in Clark County, Ky., May 22, 1817, and came to Pike County in 1828 with her parents who were early pioneers. Before his marriage, Mr. Hull built a hewed log house in Barry Township on Section 7, where he took up his abode immediately after his marriage. He placed the land of this farm under excellent cultivation and from time to time erected new buildings. In 1876 he removed to Kinderhook where he erected the residence in which his granddaughter, Mrs. J. P. Larimore now lives. To Mr. and Mrs. Hull were born four children, two living to maturity. Vianna, who always lived at home, died Feb. 6, 1907, at the age of 60 years. Sarah, who became the wife of Dr. M. B. Penick, died June 17, 1931. Mr. Hull was a man of sterling character and possessed a keen judgement and business ability. He served as Supervisor of Kinderhook more than ten years and never missed a meeting of the board. He served as school trustee 3 years, and 7 years as school director in Barry Township and was a member of the school board when free schools were inaugurated. He was a Mason and a staunch Democrat, having cast his first vote for Mr. Van Buren. He and his wife were devout members of the M. E. Church, Mrs. Hull having joined the church in 1839 and Mr. Hull at an early age. They lived a long and devoted Christian life. Mrs. Hull died on Apr. 7, 1912
Mark Bell Penick, son of Jacob and Nancy Jones Penick, was born in Jefferson County, Ohio, on January 22, 1834. In 1840, he moved with his parents to a farm in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, which was entered from the Government, by his father, Jacob Penick. The land being timberland, it was necessary to
clear the same and this, Mark Bell Penick and the other sons assisted in doing. In 1852, Mark Bell Penick hired himself out to work on a farm, at seven dollars a month, and was afterwards advanced to eight dollars a month. In June 1852, he entered the village school and attended three months, after which time he took an examination at New Philadelphia, Ohio, and obtained a certificate to teach school. In September, 1852, the father, Jacob Penick, sold his farm and moved to Eddyville, Iowa, in what is known as a prairie schooner. On the way to Eddyville, Iowa, they stopped to visit a brother of the father, reaching their destination, Eddyville, Iowa, in November 1852. The family that traveled to Iowa consisted of the father and mother, four sons and one daughter, namely: Joseph Penick, Mark Bell Penick, Ruth Amanda Penick, John Franklin Penick and Henry S. Penick. The family remained in Eddyville, Iowa, until the spring of 1853, when the father bought a well improved farm about five miles from that village, and moved on to it. After remaining on the farm for sometime, the father and mother went back to Ohio, but were not content, and returned to Iowa, where the mother died on June 9, 1864, and the father died on March 12, 1872. Mark Bell Penick went to Chillicothe, Ohio, about eight miles from the home, and taught school three months, at twenty-seven dollars a month, and obtained his board by boarding among the families of the school children. In the spring of 1854, he taught school at Cuby, Iowa, at thirty dollars a month and board, and while teaching, became acquainted with a Dr. Smith, who was a Swedish missionary and doctor, and who took him into his family, and he began to study medicine and at the same time teaching English to the Doctor's children. In the later part of 1854, with Dr. Smith's family he moved to Fairfield, Iowa, and in 1855, from there to Palmyra, Missouri, where they remained until 1856, when they moved to Barry, Illinois, where Mark Bell Penick remained and taught school for three years, until 1858. In the meantime, Dr. Smith had moved back to Missouri, and in 1858, Mark Bell Penick went to Columbus, Adams County, Illinois, and entered the office of Dr. John Torrence, and studied medicine with him for about one year. In the year of 1859, he moved to Kinderhook and entered the home of Almon Churchill, where he boarded and lived for three years and six months. During this time he taught school at Elm Grove, Barry Township, Illinois, and became acquainted with Sarah Elizabeth Hull, daughter of Smith Hull and Elizabeth McAtee Hull. On March 18, 1865, he was graduated from the Electric Medical College, of Cincinnati, Ohio, and has practiced the profession of medicine in and about Kinderhook continuously. Jacob Penick, the father was born on March 29, 1805, and Nancy Jones Penick, the mother, was born on April 29, 1805. All of the brothers and sisters preceded Mark Bell Penick in death; his sister, Ruth Amanda Penick, on November 30, 1854; his brother, Henry S. Penick, on June 10, 1869; his brother, William C. Penick, on January 19, 1914; his brother, James Penick, in the year 1915; his brother, Joseph Penick, in the year 1917; his brother John Franklin, on Aug 25, 1921; all except the brother, Henry S. Penick, having passed the four-score years. To the union of Mark Bell Penick and Sarah Elizabeth Penick there was born four children, namely: Minni Luella Penick, who died in infancy; Ninus Smith Penick, now residing in Springfield, Illinois; Jacob Franklin Penick, now residing at Quincy, Illinois, and Janna May Larimore, now residing at Kinderhook, Illinois.
Henry Hinds was born August 20, 1858, and moved to Kinderhook when 6 years old. He married Rosella Fitzpatrick, who was born in Kinderhook Dec. 23, 1863, and passed away July 24, 1901.
Cornelius Dilly was born in Pennsylvania, and moved from there to Ohio by boat. He came to Kinderhook in November 1836. He obtained some land from the government. In Captain Massie's History of Pike County, we learn that he and Almon Churchill secured 160 acres from the government. Later he bought some land from Mr. Churchill. He married Miss Lovina Stowell. Jasper Dilly of Barry, Ill., and Cornelius Jr. who lives on the home place, are that are left of the family. A daughter, Emma Benson and son, George died many years ago.