A Brief History of the Kinderhook Baptist Church
Data, images, etc., found on the PikeCoILGenWeb.org website is for the use of individual researchers only. It is NOT for other groups to copy and place on their website.
|A Brief History of the Kinderhook Baptist Church
Contributed by edmad709008
|Print | Save | Discuss (0) | E-Mail | Report|
||September 24 1936|
A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE KINDERHOOK BAPTIST CHURCH
In December, 1858, Elder Kinne and William Cleveland commenced a series of meetings which resulted in some conversions and there being a number of Baptist brethern and sisters having membership in other churches it was deemed expedient to organize a Baptist church in Kinderhook.
Accordingly, a meeting was held on the 28th day of January, 1859, at the home of David Devol, and a church was organized by the name of the First Baptist Church of Kinderhook, with 26 constituent members. Mr. Kinne was chosen Chairman, and Mr. Devol, Clerk, Seaman Sprague and S. B. Gaines were chosen Deacons. They revised articles of faith and the covenant of the church members. The church manual was adopted.
In March, 1859, Rev. Cleveland was called and accepted the call in April at $200 for half time. The next year he received $50 increase in salary for half time. In June, 1861, Rev. T. M. Colwell was called as our pastor and accepted, Kinderhook being his first charge. In May, 1862, Bro. Colwell was called to Barry church and we accepted him preaching one sermon twice a month at $100 a year. In July of the same year Bro. S. B. Gains, Seamans Sprague and Timothy Colvin were elected trustees for the church. The following month, the trustees secured lot number 2, block 14 Kinderhook by deed from Deacon Joel Hart as a donation to the church. In May, 1864, it was decided to build a house of worship. D. Devol, S. B. Gaines and S. Sprague were appointed as a building committee, But Devol resigned in August of next year, and D. Hull was elected in his stead. The building was completed and dedicated the 3rd Sunday of November 1865, at a cost of $2800. Elder N. Kinne preached the dedication sermon, the total number received into the church fellowship was 71. The members enrolled at time of organization and instrumental in the establishment of this church were S. B. Gaines, Seamans Sprague, Silas S. Sprague, Matilda Sprague Hull, Elizabeth Sprague Colwell, David Devol, Nancy Devol, Fannie Devol Gregory, David Hull, Sarah Hull, Elizabeth Morris, Jane Stoup, Martha Mason, John Wait, Alfred Lanson, Emiline Dickinson, Laura Thompson, H. J. Thompson, Adaline Phinegar, H. F. Jones, Alexander Clutch and Christina Clutch.
Years following, additions were made until the present membership Sept. 1936, is 186 members. The Sunday school now has a membership of 114 members.
In 1905, the Baptist parsonage was secured from Bro. Hill at the price of $1300. In later years additions have been made to the church and new pews, lights, heating plant, baptistry, and other conveniences have replace the old until the present building with the east annex used a primary department and kitchen in addition to the auditorium is the result.
From the information we can gather, the following is a list of ministers who have pastored in the church, Rev. Cleveland, Colwell, Hawker, Greenleaf, Gross, Green, Hawker, Colwell, Douglas, Shadwick, Andereck, Weiland, Dalton, Martin, Taylor, Poole, and Williams. Our last pastor, Rev W. B. Williams, served us faithfully for ten years, but resigned in January to accept a call to Mt. Sterling and Timewell.
The present board of deacons consists of Bro. R. T. Piper, Chairman, Harry Higgins, Chas. Fantz, and Perley Nestrick. The Sunday school has its present officers, Superintendent, Alice Nestrick; Assistant Superintendent, Juanita Fantz; Secretary, Loren Mayes; Assistant Secretary, Arthur Clark; and Pianist Owana Eddingfield
Baptist Church Clerk.
Miss Alice Nestrick.
Members currently reading this thread:
306 views. Averaging 0 per day.
In the most recent 30 day period, there've been 0 views.