History of James Hull Family in connection to Kinderhook
Data, images, etc., found on the PikeCoILGenWeb.org website is for the use of individual researchers only. It is NOT for other groups to copy and place on their website.
|History of James Hull Family in connection to Kinderhook
Contributed by edmad709008
|Print | Save | Discuss (0) | E-Mail | Report|
||September 24 1936|
HISTORY OF JAMES HULL FAMILY IN CONNECTION TO KINDERHOOK
Contributed by Josephine Call
Early in the year of 1828, they lived on a rocky mountainside farm in Washington County, Virginia, a pioneer family of English descent, consisting of father, mother, eight boys and two girls. At this time this state was becoming old and well settled. Moving westward and in search of newer and better homesteads was necessary, beside the thrilling adventure it afforded.
Even though the farm was poor and all labor done by hand the family was successful. The eldest son described the farm by saying "the rocks rattled around the hoe in hoeing corn as they would in a creek bottom." Nevertheless, they loved their home, surrounded by cherry trees and wild mountain shrubs, and they also cherished their neighbors, the Dentons, Smiths, Kinders, etc., but the urge to move westward was greater than all these, so in the spring, possibly June, 1828, after the cherry crop was picked and disposed of, and the homestead changed to other hands, this family, JAMES HULL, his wife, Elizabeth KINDER Hull and their family, and Elizabeth's brother, JESSE, started west in their horse-drawn covered wagon, loaded with what few possessions they could haul on such a journey, leaving room enough for the smaller children, the youngest being about sixteen months old. The older children traveled on foot path of the way, driving cows which gave them a fresh and plentiful supply of milk and butter.
Day after day they traveled, squirrels, rabbits, and wild life abounded, past an occasional clearing in the midst of which stood a new log cabin, over un-bridged streams where deer gathered at dusk to drink, though stretches of prairie grass. Ever westward with only an occasional halt. They traveled almost all summer.
At last they arrived in Wabash County, Indiana, where they reside for some time, perhaps to visit an acquaintance that had come on before and here also they met, and made friends with the Pullmans and Decker's, who later were mingled with them in early history of this county.
After a rest they continued their journey, not west this time but north through the prairie of the new state of Illinois, into the timbered region between the Illinois and Mississippi rivers. No homestead had appealed to them enough to settle, but fall was coming on and a house must be constructed before cold weather.
At last, tired but happy, they halted. On a knoll in the midst of a forest of oak trees that would furnish material for their house, and near a stream of water, possibly fed by a spring, they ended their long journey, but here was the beginning of the branch of the Hull history in Pike County.
This home site was on the property now known as S. Gains farm, east of the road leading north out of the village of Kinderhook. The brother, Jesse Kinder possibly settled near by. Kinderhook was un-known then and an Indian village was located in the north part of Barry.
Soon the task of cutting timber was started, and a new stick fireplace could be built. The weather had gotten so cold it was impossible to work, therefore, it was necessary to leave a space about four feet wide and the height of the house open all winter, and in the space they built their wooden fire. The winter was very cold and the ground was covered with deep snow.
In February, a son, Joseph, was born to them, and later, to him was given the homestead with the provision that he care for his aged parents. Two children were later born to them, making a family of thirteen.
As it was necessary to purchase homestead rights, Mr. Hull made it possible for each of his children to own their own tracts of land, all of which were located on the present town of Kinderhook.
These children all grew to manhood and womanhood in the "old log house" and many of their descendants still live in the county.
The eldest child, a daughter, Melinda, married to Jonas Stratton but did not live long and is buried in the Journey Cemetery.
NOTE: The "Old Log House" mentioned above is restored on Quinsippy Island in Quincy, IL. D. D. Hull, a descendant of the James Hull family, donated the cabin.