History of the Methodist Church
Data, images, etc., found on the PikeCoILGenWeb.org website is for the use of individual researchers only. It is NOT for other groups to copy and place on their website.
|History of the Methodist Church
Contributed by edmad709008
|Print | Save | Discuss (0) | E-Mail | Report|
||September 24 1936|
HISTORY OF THE METHODIST CHURCH
The Methodist Episcopal Church is one of the honored institutions of Kinderhook, and her citizens are proud of the record that this branch of the church has made in our midst.
The first Methodist class was organized in the Cook school house in the year of 1854. At that time it was part of the Barry Circuit. In 1857 it was made head of the Circuit with the Rev. E. Elliott as pastor.
The work of constructing the first church building began in 1856, on ground donated by Cornelius Dilley. All of the heavy timbers used in this building were hewn out of heavy logs and most of them are in the building at the present time, and are in excellent condition. Asa Clark was one of the active workers in the building of the first house of worship.
The dedication service was held in February 1857. Arrangements had been made for one of the prominent preachers of the day to preach and dedicatory sermon, but that was before the day of railroads, and public highways were almost impassable, so the preacher failed to arrive. That sermon was delivered by the pastor, Rev. W. M. Reed. There were only sixteen persons present at this dedication. Among those was Wm. Bothwick (Uncle Billy), who walked from Hull to attend the service.
The church was again repaired and dedicated in 1896.
On June 27, 1909, the church having been repaired, was dedicated a third time, Rev. E. G. Hibbens being the pastor at that time. At this dedication, Rev. J. F. Wohlfarth, district superintendent of the Quincy district, preached the sermon and Dr. Theodore Kemp, president of the Wesley- an University of Bloomington, preached a sermon in the afternoon and at night. Dinner was served under the trees near the church and the day will long be remembered as one of the high spots of life of the old historic church.
Since this last dedication, the church presents a modern appearance. It has a vestibule entrance, metal ceiling, bowled floor, electric lights, furnace, large modern windows and a nice lecture room for the use of the Primary Department of the Sunday school.
At this last dedication there was said to be twelve persons who were present at bot the previous dedicatory services.
The following pastors have served the charge and a noble body of men and women they were. Many of them after serving this charge, were given to larger field in which to labor. Some have served the church in colleges and schools of learning: 1858, T. J. Bryant: 1859-1860, J. W. Sinnock; 1861, A. Don Carlos; 1862, J. W. Hutchinson; 1863-4-5, G. Bond; 1855, J. B. Seymour; 1867-68, W. H. McVay; 1869, G. S. Ferree; 1871, T. S. Johnson; 1872, P. L. Turner; 1873-74, P. B. Huffman; 1875-6-7, R. P. Drake; 1879-9, M. McKendree Gooding; 1880, J. J. Dugan; 1881-2, J. B. Colwell; 1883-4 Peter Slagle; 1885 J. B. Wade; 1886 and E. E. Powell; 1887, J. B. Wade and G. W. Flaggs; 1888-9, H. A. McKinney; 1890, J. H. Hartrick; 1891-2, T. B. Smith; 1893, I. M. Johnson; 1894, William Lands; 1895-6 Nathan English; 1897-1900, W. W. Drake; 1901-2, A. V. Babbs; 1902-4 , E. N. Akers; 1904-5, N. R. Collins; 1906-7, J. L. Pickett; 1907 to May, 1908, 8 months, W. L Tyler; 4 months, F. J. Fairchilds; 1908-10, E. G. Hibbens; 1910, Wm. N. Hailey; 1911, O. R. Bowman; 1912, F. P. Bonnefen; 1913-20, Wm. Hailey; 1921 F. C. Read; 1922-25, J. M. Tull; 1926, J. Manval, 6 months: Mrs. Marion Polk, 6 months; 1927, Mrs. Marion Polk, 4 months; E. J. Williams, 8 months; 1928 C. W. Hammand 1929-31, C. W. Richardson; 1932, Dr. Luce; 1933. Geo. W. Bell; 1934-36, A. C. Lee.
Al Hull, age 87 years, remembers: that his first school was at Blue Grass, his first teacher, Nort Close. That he next went to the yellow school house where the home of Mrs. Ada Fowler now stands, to these teacher, Mr. King and Miss Daughter, Hall Jones and John Kidder Ferdinand Cooey.
In 1864 he went to war, came back and went to school several years after he was 21 years old. They then used sheep skin erasers. He remembers that Sam Hill came here before the war and worked at the blacksmith trade with Julius Gaines, and that he belonged to the Earthquake or Democrat party. (Republicans were called Wideawakes).
He also remembers attending a political meeting in 1860, in Shinn's Grove near Payson, when Lincoln was a candidate for President.
That Joseph Wells did the masonry work for the old brick school house, and Tommy Johnson, Hector Brownell, Louisa Hull and William, were present when the first M. E. Church was dedicated in 1857. When Lou Hull and Henry Orr kept store. That they packed pork here when he was 9 years old, shipped it from Cincinnati to which place all produce was hauled with teams.
When a barge load of wheat sank in the river there, but was recovered, and much of it was spread in even available place to dry.
When these men were old settlers, Cornelius Dilly, Bill Gard, Ragan, a one legged man, John Aaron, Peter Nisong, Billy Likes, Jimmy Hull, Mason Alec McClain, Jesse Hull, Henry Orr, and Jim Lyons, Henry Orr built the old M. E. parsonage in 188. Jim Lyons lived east of the old parsonage.